Our Honey Cake Recipe…
We are often asked for the recipe for the honey cake served on our training courses, we make a gluten-free version using Doves Gluten Free Flour otherwise following the recipe below:
Honey Cake Recipe
250g Clear Honey (+2 tablespoons to glaze)
225 Unsalted Butter
100g Dark Muscovado Sugar
3 Large Eggs, beaten
300g Self Raising Flour
1. Cut the butter into pieces and drop into a medium pan with the honey and sugar. Melt slowly over a low heat. When the mixture looks quite liquid, increase the heat under the pan and boil for about one minute. Leave to cool for 15-20 mins to prevent the eggs from cooking when they are mixed in.
2. Preheat the oven to 160c/gas 3. Butter and line a 20cm round loose-bottomed cake tin.
3. Beat the eggs into the cool melted honey mixture using a wooden spoon. Sift the flour into the egg and honey mixture, beating until you have a smooth, quite runny batter.
4. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 50 mins to 1 hour until the cake is golden brown (or in my Rayburn oven nearly always burnt!) and springs back when pressed. A skewer pushed into the center of the cake should come out clean.
5. Turn the cake out on a wire rack. Warm 2 tablespoons of honey in a small pan or on a saucer in the microwave and brush over the top of the cake to give a sticky glaze.
6. Leave to cool, keeps for 4-5 days wrapped in an airtight container.
- honey cake