We are working on dates for 2024, please contact us if you are interested in attending this workshop
1 day 9.30- 4.30pm
1. Introduction to Pigs: You will learn about native British breeds as well as breeds from further afield, their characteristics and qualities both for meat and as pets.
2. Legalities: A step by step guide to getting it right and what you need to do before putting pigs on your land
3. Husbandry and Feeding: Next to the pig paddock you will learn about the needs of the pig, their feeding and what you should expect from your first weaners or pet pigs.
4. Which Pigs are right for you? We will hold an open discussion on the purpose of your pigs, how much they will cost you and which breed you are looking to keep.
5. Pig Diseases: What to look out for, how to treat and when its time to call the vet.
6. The Final Journey: Next to the pig paddock you will learn what is required to maintain a high level of welfare and reduce any stress. Then back to the training area to run through the paperwork you will need to present at an abattoir.
What to Expect
An introduction to pig keeping is a basic introduction for people who are interested in keeping pigs either for meat or as pets. All topics regarding small scale pig keeping will be covered to ensure you leave the course feeling confident to be able to start keeping pigs yourself.
Keeping livestock is not a fair-weather hobby, so please be prepared to go outside even if the elements are unfavourable.
What to Bring
Refreshments will be provided, including a homemade cake.
Parking is available at the entrance to our farm and our training room is just a short walk down our track.
Bring yourself. Waterproof Wellingtons or boots that you are happy to place in a foot dip and waterproof trousers if you have them. Clothes you are not too precious about as we will be going in with the pigs. A warm weatherproof rain jacket if poor weather is forecast.
Please arrive 15 mins before the start of the course for a prompt start
To ensure all attendees get the best experience from their training we only run our courses in small groups.
We therefore must operate with a strict cancellation policy: Refunds (or booking transfers) are not given for cancellations made within 2 weeks of the course. If a cancellation is made with more than 2 weeks notice but within 6 weeks of the course date, then we will try to re-sell your tickets, if we are successful then a refund will be issued for the full amount less a £10 administration fee. If a cancellation is made with more than 6 weeks notice, then a full refund will be issued.