Sat 17th and Sun 18th February 2024
Fri 22nd and Sat 23rd March 2024
Sat 20th and Sun 21st April 2024
Fri 17th and Sat 18th May 2024
Sat 22nd and Sun 23rd June 2024
Sat 20th and Sun 21st July 2024
Fri 6th and Sat 7th September 2024
12th and 13th October 2024
Two days: 9.30am - 4.30pm
1. The Honeybee. The bee colony, biology, and life cycle
2. Equipment and Costs. Hive equipment, frames, wax, tools, personal protection
3. The Apiary. Apiary layout, siting the hives, responsibilities, and safety
4. Managing Honeybee Colonies. Inspections, swarm control, uniting and moving colonies
5. Beekeeping health, hygiene, pests and diseases.
6. The honey harvest
7. Winter preparations
8. The Importance of Plants. Requirements of honeybees and other pollinators
9. The beekeepers year
10. Sources of Information, help and support
What to Expect
An intensive but enjoyable 2 days learning all about keeping honeybees; to give you enough knowledge to set up your own beehives.
Where the bees and the weather allow, this day will include an inspection of a hive. A bee-suit will be provided.
What to Bring
Please bring a packed lunch. Refreshments will be provided, including a homemade cake.
Parking is available at the entrance to our farm and our training room is just a short walk down our track.
Bring yourself, confirmation of your booking, a notebook and any questions you may have.
Bring gloves (washing-up type gloves are fine) and wellies/boots for the visit to the apiary.
Please arrive 15 mins before the start of the course for a prompt start
To ensure all attendees get the best experience from their training we only run our courses in small groups.
We therefore must operate with a strict cancellation policy: Refunds (or booking transfers) are not given for cancellations made within 2 weeks of the course. If a cancellation is made with more than 2 weeks notice but within 6 weeks of the course date, then we will try to re-sell your tickets, if we are successful then a refund will be issued for the full amount less a £10 administration fee. If a cancellation is made with more than 6 weeks notice, then a full refund will be issued.